May 13, 2016

Be Free


Scrapbook Layout for Scrapook Nerd On-Line crop   - Be Free -



A close up of the layout.

Hello everyone!


Today, I am bringing you a new layout created for the  "Let Your Creativity Bloom" on-line crop at Scrapbook Nerd.  My challenge for the crop is to use butterflies in a creative way.   Here is my take on the challenge.

The large butterfly shaker in construction

I started by using the "origami butterfly" cut file from the Silhouette Store to cut two large butterflies, and a few more of a smaller scale.  Using some vellum, I backed the large butterflies. Then, using removable adhesive, i glued them together as to form a shaker figure,  Using a paper piercer i made holes along the cut out part of the butterfly, so I can hand stitch it together.  Before sealing the edges together, I added sequin in the same color as the embroidery floss used.



the finished butterfly shaker in the layout.


For the mat, I used watercolor paper cut to 11x11 in.  Using Heidi Swapp's color shine inks, I created a watercolor background to match the colors of  the sequin, and added ink splatters all over the page.  I then trace the edge of the smaller butterflies on different vellum papers, and attached them to the cut out (just at the center line).

Using the sewing machine, the watercolor background was added to a 12x12 patterned paper mat;  the butterflies were also stitched to the layout along the lines created by the ink splatters.    I added a black and white picture of my niece with a few embelishments in little clusters around its edge.



I added a lot of texture to the page, and continued the wood
grain look of the backing paper by using wood veneers for the title.


I made sure to staple the  layers of the picture to the paper, so that it will remain in place.   The large butterfly has a row of foam dots under the wing to create the illusion of flight.   Here is  the final layout:


The layout captures the lightness of her dress flying as she twirls, just like the butterflies' wings.


I hope you join us in the on-line crop over at scrapbooknerd.com.

Till next time...

Happy Crafting!!










No comments:

Post a Comment